Saturday, February 27, 2010

Racing for Passion!

"When you’re racing with the clock
When you’re racing with the clock
And the second hand doesn't understand
That your back may break and your fingers ache
And your constitution isn't made of rock!
It’s a losing race when your racing with the
Racing racing racing with the clock!"


That is the chorus from a song in the play "The Pajama Game". When I was in high school we did that play. I had a non singing role, but that song has always stuck with me.

It seems to me that for most of my life I have been racing with the clock. I've been doing my best to keep my head out of the water, I’d been running in place and not getting as far as I wanted to. In the past, I felt that I had been losing that race, because the clock is ticking, and I am still looking for the spark that is going to propel me to the top.

I am now embarking on my second (or third or fourth career), but I don’t consider the others failures. I know that every great achiever has had to start over. I guess some people just have to start over more than others do.

I write this blog because I want to help people find the greatness in themselves. We all have greatness within us. The trick is to find the way to unleash it.

On Wednesday morning, we had a sales meeting at my new job. The person conducting the meeting spoke about the difference between mediocrity and greatness. He said that the difference is PASSION. He said that you can never be more than mediocre if you don’t have a passion for what you do. At that moment my mind drifted off to the evening before. I had been conducting a Group Hypnosis Smoking Cessation Session at Plainview Hospital. I realized that in that moment, I was great! I had passion. I had the participants in the palm of my hand and I took them to places that they needed to go. I do have passion for that work; I am in my element when I am doing it. It’s not work for me it was a joy! I realized that I simply have to do much more hypnosis and healing because it’s my passion.

I have a gift for helping and healing by back burnering it I am doing a disservice to myself and to humanity because I am denying the world of my gifts and preventing myself to become truly fulfilled and successful. It was a EUREKA moment if there ever was one.

Honestly, I am very thankful for my new job, and I will find the passion I need to become more than mediocre. With perseverance, perhaps that job will provide the means for me to do more of the other work and then become truly great at what I am passionate about, and I can stop racing with the clock and begin enjoying my time.
Namaste

Roch

2 comments:

  1. Liked your post Roch. Passion does make such a difference in life and brings so much satisfaction to our lives. And the more we can live in the present moment, the more joy we'll experience because living in the present moment helps us to move from the past and not worry about the future.

    Maria A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Roch,
    I got this responce in my email
    I thought to post it here because the sender said he had difficulty attaching it
    What is interesting is that this was sent by Dr. Steven Porter who was actually the Musical Director of the high school play that i referenced in the begining of the blog. He was one of the most induring influences of my young life.
    =========

    Not everyone has the ability to be great. Greatness is a rare commodity. Often it is not known by the person because people can be too close to their work to see it accurately. That is why honest, astute criticism is so vital.

    Passion is perseverence in the face of both odds and time.

    Passion and ability do not guarantee success. There is much more to it. Luck, influence, and sometimes the ability to be a prostitute of one kind or another. Many great people never make it big and are not recognized until well after they die. Many mediocre people are lifted to prominence. Often they fall in love with their image rather than assess their real ability.

    The only things we can really do are to persist, to grow, and to hope that our work is recognized.

    Dr. Porter

    ReplyDelete