Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Did you ever notice...

That sometimes when you are talking to other people you really are talking to yourself?

Case in point.

This morning I was online and I was thinking about a friend of mine with whom I had not spoken in a few weeks.  Almost exactly at that time his name came up on my SKYPE notification thingy.  That is the Law of Attraction 101 at work here, but I digress...or maybe not...let's see where this goes,ok?  So I clicked on it and we started a to have a conversation across the Atlantic Ocean. (BTW, you have got to get SKYPE...it is a great way to keep in touch with people and it is free). 

Anyway, in order to understand the significance of the conversation, you need a bit of background info about my relationship with my friend. We are almost exactly the same age, we had been co-workers with similar pay and responsibilities at a company that neither of us work at anymore. We have very different personalities but we compliment each other, its sort of like being two sides of the same coin.  In addition, we have both had financial and physical setbacks to deal with.  My friend, actually had moved back to his home country to re-start life there with his family.  When he left here, I know that he left with the strong feeling that he had failed, that he had left too much undone, and apparently he is still struggling with those feelings.

After we exchanged our pleasantries, we started talking about what we were both doing.  It was not long before I realized that my friend was not happy.  He has a job and his family is together again, but many of the other things that mattered to him have escaped his grasp.  Emphatically I could pick up that he was feeling unsuccessful and lost.  When I mentioned the word "dreams" to him he said he no longer had any and that it's enough to just live day to day. To quote him "I don't dream anymore...its too hard and it doesn't pay.  I think about what I am doing right now, what I am going to have for dinner, the wine I will drink tonight and maybe what I will have to do for work tomorrow.  That's it, that's all there is."  He worked, he ate, he slept and he did it over again and again.  He had nothing for himself and he had no hobbies, or outside interests.  To hear him speak this way was heartbreaking! 

In reply I found myself telling him about my experience with the tow truck driver that I wrote about last week. It seemed to me to be exactly the kind of story he needed to hear.  I advised that he needed to find a new dream to hang, on to or at very least to find a distraction.  He needed to get himself out of the immediate moment he was in.  I explained that he needed to find something to do that he enjoyed doing just for the sake of doing it.  I actually suggested that he get himself a dog.  I figured that he could use the unconditional love a pet would give him as well using the training time that would take him away from his maudlin thoughts.  The main reason I told him that was because, just like a skin diver, you can not go directly from the depths to the surface without suffering the bends and right now he was drowning.

Being the kind of guy he is, he threw it all back at me and asked what I was doing to make myself feel better and what was my dream and distraction?  I fumpfered for a beat, because I didn't know exactly how to put it into words.  But then I felt my own emotions rising, and in that moment I was back in the cab of the tow truck with that truck driving poet.  As I began to talk, I could feel myself going into the kind of trance that happens to me when I am in healing mode.  I told him that my dream is to take this hypnosis business, (The Self-Esteem Center of L.I.)  to the next level and that my distraction was writing.  I don't know if I was reaching him or not but as I spoke about my dreams I found myself being inspired to work.  After a bit he got off the call with me, maybe I made him uncomfortable, but I hope not.  I think maybe he was feeling a bit like I felt the other night when the truck driver held a mirror to my soul.

As soon as I got off the call, I sat down and wrote this blog post. More over, I'm now determined to write some promotional emails and make some calls to potential clients.  I will contact a producer who had expressed interest in my doing a stage hypnosis show on TV. and I will start writing the first of three scripts that I intend to turn into salable CDs.  So you see, in the end, the Law of Attraction worked on several levels.  It brought me into contact with my friend who needed to hear what I had to say, but perhaps even more importantly, it brought me back into contact with myself to get inspired and get moving on my dreams too.

NAMASTE

No comments:

Post a Comment