Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It's for a reason!

The Law of attraction says that you create your reality and that you ask for everything you get both good and bad.  This is sometimes hard to believe when things are not going your way.  But even then, I think that the universe always has it's reasons.  A case in point.

The other night I was driving home from an appointment in a heavy rain.  I decided not to take my usual route because the road tends to get flooded, so I went around the long way.  The route I was taking is all back roads and its very dark and lonely.  It's a funny thing too because the last two times I went that way I missed a turn in the dark and ended up going out of my way a bit so I was determined not to miss that turn.  Sure enough, I missed it again but I realized my mistake right away, made a u-turn and took the right road.
A few minutes later I crossed over an intersection and did not notice a HUGE puddle.  I was unable to avoid it and I was committed so I gunned the engine and tried to go all the way through it without stopping.  I made it to the other side but just then my car died.  Try and try again it would not restart.  So I pulled out my cell phone, and called 911 and AAA. The police said that they would send a car to check on me and AAA told me it would take about an hour before the driver could get to me.
This is just great I thought, I decided to go this way home specifically to avoid exactly the situation that I now found myself in.  Sitting alone in the dark in the rain on a lonely road gives one time to think, and my thoughts were not very happy at that moment.  The occasional car would stop and ask me if I was okay then turn around and avoid my mistake.  Eventually the police arrived and he incredulously asked "Didn't I see that the road was closed?".  I wanted to say something smart to him, because I was already pissed off but then I thought better of it.  I said that there was no sign of of that and so he went to check.  In a while, he came back and said that somebody must have moved the sign and barrier but he put them back. Gee, that is just peachy, I thought.  He asked if I had help coming and left when I said I had called triple A.  So once again I was left in the dark with my thoughts; the only light coming from my hazard flashers. By now I was getting cold and I also had to urinate, I wished the damn tow truck would get there already.
A few minutes later, I saw the flashing lights of the wrecker and was relieved. When the driver got out of the truck, he flashed me a knowing smile and I asked him if I could sit in the truck were it was warmer.  (Don't tell anybody but on the way I stopped behind a nearby tree to take care of that other issue).  When I got into his  very messy truck cab, he had his music playing loudly, a big pile of papers on the passenger seat and of all things, a book of poetry perched on top of the pile. This seemed kind of odd to me, but to each his own.  I was intrigued so I picked it up and started leafing through it.   It was not my cup of tea but there was nothing else to do so I kept reading.
When he had my car all hooked up he got in the cab and we did the required paperwork, and I finally got a good look at the man.  The poor guy was soaking wet, he was an African American and about my age, maybe a bit younger.  He confirmed where I wanted to go and we started off.  He immediately began asking me questions about myself. He had an interesting speech pattern that made me think that maybe he was a bit "slow".   I answered him good naturedly but not with any enthusiasm,  I just wanted to get home. Then he asked me if I liked poetry.  I said yes and that I that enjoyed writing some poetry myself. He pointed to the book and said for me to look.
I confessed that I had already read some if it and he asked me what I thought.  I didn't want to be rude so I said I liked it.  He perked right up and proudly announced that he was the author.  The book was not very big it maybe had 50 pages in all and some of them were just photographs. The poems were centered on the pages and none of them were more than 4 or 5 verses.  He said it was self published and that he was now working on a new book too.  His publisher was doing some promoting of it and he was hoping that it would take off because his dream was to be a full time writer and photographer.  A few minutes later we got to where I needed to be and he unhooked the car.  I paid the fee and tipped him for his work.
Later that night as I lay in bed, I could not help but think about that guy.  What an inspiration he was and he also kind of shamed me.  Here was a man who for all appearances was not doing very well, I guy that probably didn't have had anywhere near my level of education or IQ but he had a dream and he was actively working for it.  He had taken his dreams in hand and was making them happen.
So what was I doing about my own dreams?  How hard am I pressing myself to make them come true?  I can tell you this, I have new motivation.  If he can do it how can I not?  I think that the universe gave me a gift, even if it came at the expense of my car trouble.   I had to meet this man and this was the only way that was ever going to happen.

NAMASATE

No comments:

Post a Comment