Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Assumptions

I was happy this weekend which is good. And for a while I wasn't, but then I was again.  So how did that happen?  In one of my earlier posts, I talked about FEAR.  False Expectations Appearing Real.  That's exactly what happened to me.
The circumstances are not important but what was important is that for a while I had jumped to a conclusion without all the facts. The reality was not what I expected.and in the end, the situation worked out perfectly well and as a matter of fact it went completely my way. 
I spent the better part of a half hour being pissed off and miserable, when, if I only had a bit more patience I would not have felt that way at all.  My expectation was that I was going to be unhappy, and I was.  I allowed my fear to rule my attitude  We always create our own reality, my expectation was that I was going to be let down, I reacted to that expectation and as a result I felt let down and angry.  Moreover, in that state, I influenced the way people around me were feeling. I caused a chain reaction of bad feelings.  For a short time a lot of people, were upset, and angry. None of this was truly necessary. Most likely it never is.
Thankfully, the situation took care of itself and everyone was okay in the end.  No permanent damage was done.  I am glad that calmer heads prevailed. People make assumptions all the time.  Usually, its not a good idea. that old saying "when you assume you make an ASS out of U and Me" tends to be the truth. In the book, The Four Agreements, by Don Carlos Ruiz, the third of the Four Agreements is do not assumptions.  This is good advise.  Many times the assumptions we make lead to misunderstandings as they did in my case this weekend.  Had I taken the time to ask the right questions instead of leaping to the wrong conclusion I would have still had the same great outcome, but passed the pain I caused myself and the discomfort I caused the other people.
Another assumption that I was involved with, happened the week before last.  Someone I know, saw me coming out of the Department of Social Services building where I was to find out about getting some help for the huge medical bills I have right now.   That person called someone else I know and said they saw me coming out of the Methadone Clinic and asked how long had I had a drug problem.  Obviously it was easier for that person to believe/assume that I had a drug issue as opposed to needing some financial help. 
Thankfully that misunderstanding was cleared up right away but imagine what might have happened to my reputation had that gone any further? 
Anyway all's well that ends well. It's a lesson I wont soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment